Jane Yamamoto-Burigsay
Courtesy: Social Security Administration

There are a number of people who choose to live their retirement years in places outside of the United States. Perhaps retirement in Thailand or Portugal is in your plans. Or, maybe you plan to split your year between Central Europe and Central Asia. In many cases, it’s still possible to receive your retirement benefits while living abroad. Our website can help you navigate your benefit eligibility while living overseas.

If you’ve worked in both the United States and another country, it may be possible to combine your credits for a larger benefit. Currently, there are 25 countries with such international agreements with the United States. To find out if you have qualifying work in a country with such an agreement, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/

You can receive benefits in many countries. To find out whether you can receive your benefits in the country where you are retiring, use our Payments Abroad Screening Tool at

If you live overseas, there are easy ways to get in touch with us and report changes to Social Security. You can contact your local U.S. embassy, write to us by mail or call us at 1-800-772-1213. You can find other information regarding living overseas at www.socialsecurity.gov/foreign.

Jane Yamamoto-Burigsay is Social Security’s public affairs specialist in Hawai‘i.

To read the rest of this article, please subscribe to The Herald!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here