Jane Yamamoto-Burigsay
Courtesy: Social Security Administration

The new year — 2018 — is here! It’s the perfect time to tell you about the new features in my Social Security. They not only save you time, but also put you in control of your retirement future.

If you are a resident of a growing number of states (and the District of Columbia), you can request a replacement Social Security card online. Our new online version of the Application for a Replacement Social Security Card can make getting a replacement card easy and stress-free. It allows people to apply for a replacement card through my Social Security without traveling to a field office or card center, as long as you are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card. We are working to add this capability to every state.

Your personal my Social Security account is secure and gives you ready access to your earnings records, Social Security benefit estimates and printable Statements. Those who already receive benefits can view their payment history, current status and manage their benefits.

Social Security has also made replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement (known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S) shows the amount of benefits you received the previous year and is needed for filing taxes. Now you have the ability to download it using our online services. There is no need to visit a field office. A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S became available Feb. 1 for the previous tax year.

To read the rest of this article, please subscribe to The Herald!

Jane Yamamoto-Burigsay is Social Security’s public affairs specialist in Hawai‘i.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here