Jane Yamamoto-Burigsay
Courtesy: Social Security Administration

Jane Yamamoto-Burigsay is Social Security’s public affairs specialist in Hawai‘i.

Social Security is constantly evolving to make your life easier. If you are currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and are reapplying for benefits — or are assisting someone with their application — a trip to the Social Security office is probably not necessary, even if verification of Social Security benefits is needed.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Recertification Application for Housing Assistance can use their Enterprise Income Verification System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public housing agencies, private owners and management agents administering HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging on to the following websites: go.usa.gov/x97mH or go.usa.gov/x97m6.

If you are a new applicant for housing assistance, you can provide your HUD administrator with your Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment notice, SSA-1099, or other SSA benefit document you should have received at the beginning of the calendar year or when you began receiving benefits, whichever is later.

To read the rest of this article, please subscribe to The Herald!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here