MIS National Reunion To Highlight 2015 For MIS Veterans Club

MIS Veterans Club president Lawrence “Larry” Enomoto welcomed members and guests to the club’s Jan. 25 shinnenkai at the Pömaika‘i Ballroom at Dole Cannery. Enomoto is serving his second term as the club’s president....

Hawaii Fujioka Kenjin Kai Welcomes New Year

The Hawaii Fukuoka Kenjin Kai held its annual general meeting and shinnenkai at the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai‘i’s Manoa Grand Ballroom on Feb. 8. Highlights included the installation of president Fusayo “Fussy” Nagao and...

Sarah Kiyomi Kamida

Gwen Battad Ishikawa Every year, the Herald interviews the outgoing Cherry Blossom Festival queen as she prepares to pass on her crown to her successor. What are some of the changes that have taken place...

HUOA Installs 2015 Officers, Honors “Uchinanchu Of The Year”

Over 900 people packed the Hawaii Okinawa Center on Jan. 17 for the installation of the organization’s 2015 officers and advisors and to recognize the year’s Uchinanchu of the Year. In his message, outgoing president...

United Japanese Society Celebrates Arrival Of 2015

About 200 United Japanese Society of Hawaii members and friends attended the organization’s annual shinnen enkai on Jan. 24 at the Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai‘i’s Manoa Grand Ballroom. The program began with the observance...
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Corrected Dates For “Name The Cherry Blossom Festival Queen” Contest

The wrong contest dates for the Hawaii Hochi and Hawai‘i Herald’s 32nd annual “Name the Cherry Blossom Festival Queen” contest were listed in the Feb. 6, 2015, print edition. The correct contest dates are...
Photo by kalihikahuna74 (Ryukyu/Fugu Khan or Okinawa808) on Flickr

Mckinley Alumni Association Honors Three At Alumni Brunch

Neal S. Takamori (’64) and Glenn K. Muranaka (’67) will be inducted into the McKinley Alumni Association’s 2015 Hall of Honor at its annual almni luncheon on Saturday, Jan. 31. Also at the event,...

Jared S. Higashi

Jared S. Higashi recently joined the Hawai‘i Lodging & Tourism Association as director of government and community affairs. Higashi will represent HLTA members and serve as a liaison with government and elected officials. He will...

Chrysanthemum Festival Queen Crowned

Devynn-Leigh Kochi, 16, of Ha‘ikü was crowned queen of the 62nd Chrysanthemum Festival, which was held Dec. 6 at the Velma McWayne Santos Community Center in Wailuku, Maui. Kochi is a junior at King...

Haleiwa Shingon Mission Reaching Out

Margaret Shiba Special to The Hawai‘i Herald “Yoo Omairi . . .” sang a chorus of voices, as more than 100 people gathered at the Haleiwa Shingon Mission on O‘ahu’s north shore on Oct. 26 for...

Recent Posts

- Advertisement -