The Hawaii Herald Logo

Community Focus – Hui O Laulima Accepting Applicants for 2021 Cultural Grants

Hui O Laulima’s Cultural Grants Committee is currently accepting applications for its 2021 Cultural Grant program. The grants are aimed at supporting the applicants’ efforts to preserve and perpetuate Okinawan culture, one of the missions of Hui O Laulima. The grants are awarded to individuals and groups in the spirit of laulima — the Hawaiian....
Maui architect Jim Niess said artist Kirk Kurokawa painted the mural walls like their black and white original photographs, adding “a subtle touch to its powerful imagery, giving the mural a true sense of integrity and connection to the past.” (Photo by Melissa Tanji)

Herald Salutes – Historic Hawaii Foundation to Honor NVMC Mural Wall

The Historic Hawai‘i Foundation will present a Preservation Award to the Nisei Veterans Memorial Center and Maui artist Kirk Kurokawa for the mural wall he produced for the center. Kurokawa painted the larger-than-life mural wall using ordinary house paint. His work on the mural was featured in a story by contributing writer Melissa Tanji in....
The Hawai‘i Gagaku Society held its concert on Feb. 8 at the Daijingu Temple of Hawai‘i under a full moon. Member David Shinsato told the Herald, “Our sensei (Rev. Masatoshi Shamoto, not pictured) passed away a week after the concert on Feb. 14, so this was the last concert that he was able to attend.”

In Our Community (Photos by Wayne Shinbara)

To see all photos from this year’s event, subscribe to our online subscription!
The “Believe In Your Dreams and Spray Away Meth” workshop and mural were Trysen “TK” Kaneshige’s senior year project at Kaua‘i High School. (Photo by Trysen Kaneshige)

Art Life – “TKAY2”, A Gifted Kauai Boy with a Huge Heart

Trysen “TK” Kaneshige’s Many Art Forms Vibrate Positivity Across the 808 Jodie Chiemi Ching “WHEREAS, hard-working, determined, passionate, and talented are words that describe Trysen ‘TK’ Kaneshige, in his journey towards an auspicious career in the creative arts as a local Kaua‘i boy with a simple, but in no way small, dream …” reads the....
Dr. Christine R. Yano (Photo by William Morrison)

Academics & Humanity – Asian Studies in a Time of Pandemic

Dr. Christine R. Yano Published with Permission Editor’s note: This president’s message by Dr. Yano was recently published on the Association for Asian Studies' #AsianNow blog page on April 4, 2020. You may read the post in its entirety at https://www.asianstudies.org/asian-studies-in-a-time-of-pandemic/. Greetings from lush Mänoa Valley in sunny Honolulu! It is a strange time to....
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Community Focus – Hawaii State Library Streaming “Proof of Loyalty” for Free

The Hawai‘i State Public Library recently began offering the streaming service Kanopy at https://www.librarieshawaii.org/ and will continue to offer it for free through April 30. The offerings include 10 films by Lucy Ostrander and Don Sellers of Stourwater Pictures, producers of the hour-long documentary, “Proof of Loyalty: Kazuo Yamane and the Nisei Soldiers of Hawai‘i,”....
Graphic for Hawaii Food Bank 'COVID-19 Response'

Community Focus – Hawaii Foodbank’s COVID-19 Response

As the COVID-19 situation intensifies, Hawaii Foodbank is facing an unprecedented challenge of providing food for people affected by the pandemic while continuing to meet the nutritional needs of one in eight Hawai‘i residents already struggling with food insecurity. The current pandemic has closed schools and community centers, creating a gap in meals for countless....
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Community Focus – The Show Aloha Challenge

The City and County of Honolulu has partnered with local restaurants, businesses and nonprofit organizations to carry out the “Show Aloha Challenge” initiative. It is a collaboration to deliver thousands of meals to küpuna for free. During Mayor Kirk Caldwell’s “stay-at-home” order, many homebound seniors will need more support with home meal deliveries. If they....
Honolulu Hiroshima Kenjin Kai president Wayne Miyao (far left), Hiroshima Prefecture governor Hidehiko Yuzaki (center) and Tökyö Hiroshima-Ken People’s Association president Yoshiki Paul Otake, gather for a group photo after signing of documents establishing the sister kenjinkai relationship. (Photos by Brandon Saigusa)

Community Focus – Honolulu Hiroshima Kenjin Kai Establishes Relationship with Tokyo Hiroshima Kenjin Kai

After two years of meetings and negotiations, the Honolulu Hiroshima Kenjin Kai formalized a sister kenjinkai relationship with the Tökyö Hiroshima-Ken People’s Association at a signing ceremony at the THKPA’s shinnen enkai (New Year’s banquet) at the Shinagawa Prince Hotel in Tökyö on Jan. 20.
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Community Kokua – CPB Foundation Donates Over $300,000 to #KeepHawaiiCooking

In less than a week, local families joined with Central Pacific Bank and Central Pacific Bank Foundation’s #KeepHawaiiCooking initiative to achieve a goal of 10,000 meals shared with the community, by splitting the bill and covering 50 percent of the tab for food ordered from favorite local restaurants. The program, which launched on March 27,....

Recent Posts

Purchase Culture4Kids!

- Advertisement -