The Rev. Akihiro Okada of the Daijingu Temple in Nuuanu performed a Shintö blessing of Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai‘i leaders and others in the martial arts dojo at the start of the Jan. 12 festival. The blessing also included the partaking of sake by JCCH president/executive director Jacce Mikulanec and board chair Ken Hayashida; Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell; Mrs. Misako Ito, representing her husband Consul General of Japan in Honolulu Koichi Ito; and Kevin Asano, one of four Japanese American Olympians from Hawai‘i. Asano captured a gold medal in the 1988 Olympic Games in judo.

In Our Community – JCCH Ohana Festival Shines Through Rain and Clouds

To see all photos from this year's event, please subscribe to the Hawaii Herald!
Barry Taniguchi and John Masuhara

Big Island Community Focus – Hilo High School Foundation to Honor Taniguchi and Masuhara

The Hilo High School Foundation will present its Distinguished Alumni Awards to Barry Taniguchi and John Masuhara, posthumously, at the foundation’s 10th annual Recognition Dinner. The dinner will be held Friday, Feb. 28, beginning at 5:30 p.m. in the Honpa Hongwanji Hilo Betsuin Sangha Hall.
After a 10-year absence, Naalehu Hongwanji Mission on Hawai‘i Island opened its doors to the public last Aug. 31 and observed obon with a bon dance. Members of Hongwanji’s Hilo, Pahala, Kona and Kohala temples, along with Kona Jr. YBA members, helped the Naalehu Hongwanji members set up the grounds and also participated in the festival to welcome home the spirits of deceased loved ones . . . even in the pouring rain!

Big Island Community Focus – Bon Dance Returns to Naalehu Hongwanji Mission

To see all photos from this year's event, please subscribe to the Hawaii Herald!
From left: Poets Ann Inoshita, Jean Yamasaki Toyama and Juliet S. Kono with their Hawai‘i Book Publishers Association Honorable Mention award for “What We Must Remember” on the Massie case. The volume was published by Bamboo Ridge Press. (Photo courtesy Joy Kobayashi-Cintron)

Herald Salutes

Bamboo Ridge Press’ “What We Must Remember” was presented an Honorable Mention award at the 2019 Ka Palapala Po‘okela book awards on Dec. 13 at the Hawai‘i State Library. The awards are presented by the Hawai‘i Book Publishers Association to honor the best books published in Hawai‘i and recognizes individuals and companies involved in their....
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Spotlight – Obun Hawaii Joins Hawaii Hochi, Ltd.

Karleen C. Chinen With the arrival of the new year came the announcement that Hawaii Hochi, Ltd., the parent company of The Hawai‘i Herald and its Japanese-language sister publication, the Hawaii Hochi, had acquired Obun Hawaii, a full-service commercial printing company that had been owned by aio. The announcement was made jointly by Hawaii Hochi,....
Bishop Shokai Kanai of Nichiren Mission in Nu‘uanu observes as longtime member Sandra Taga rings the temple bell a few minutes before Jan. 1, 2020. The ringing of the bell signifies the arrival of the new year.

In Our Community – Ringing in 2020, the “Year of the Rat”

To see all photos from this year's event, subscribe today! Online and print subscriptions are now available.
Kikaida costume

In Our Community – Celebrating 45 Years of Kikaida i Hawaii!

To see all photos from this year's event, subscribe to our online subscription or complete and submit a form here to subscribe to our print edition.
Children playing taiko drums at a New Year's Ohana Festival

New Year’s Ohana Festival

WHO/WHAT: The Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai‘i celebrates the “Year of the Rat” with its annual New Year’s ‘Ohana Festival, the state’s largest festival celebrating Japanese New Year’s traditions. Enjoy delicious food and a...
The mochi-shaping crew takes a break to pose for a group shot. (Photo courtesy Akiko’s B&B)

Community Focus – Wailea Village Mochi Pounding Set for Dec. 28

Hawai‘i Island’s much-anticipated Wailea Village Mochi Pounding will be held on Saturday, Dec. 28, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Akiko’s Buddhist B&B in Hakalau (15 mile marker) along the Hämäkua Coast. The community mochi pounding that attracts residents and visitors alike is in its 22nd year. A short film on the event by....
The audience enjoys the handbell music of Tinkerbell. (Photos by Wayne Shinbara)

Community Focus – Peace Commemorated with Handbell and Shamisen Concert

Chaminade University’s Mystical Rose Oratory was the setting for the Christmas Concert for PEACE and Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day Commemoration on Dec. 7. The program by Tinkerbell, a handbells performing group from Japan, and Tsugaru Shamisen music, also from Japan, was organized by the BDK – Rev. (Yoshiaki) Fujitani Interfaith Program at Chaminade University and....

Recent Posts

Purchase Culture4Kids!

- Advertisement -