Headshot of Leonard Hoshijo

Herald Salutes

Gov. David Ige has appointed Leonard Hoshijo as director of the state Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, which oversees the workforce development, unemployment insurance, workers compensation, and occupational safety and health divisions. Hoshijo had been DLIR’s deputy director since 2015 and acting director since December 2017. He succeeds Linda Chu Takayama, who was appointed interim....
Cover photo of Duane Kurisu and Connie Mitchell holding a t-shirt that reads, "We Built It!"

Lead Story – Kahauiki Village: “We Built It!”

What Can Happen When the People Put Their Heads and Hearts Together Gregg K. Kakesako Special to The Hawai‘i Herald “We built it!” It took Hawai‘i businessman Duane Kurisu just six months and one day to develop Kahauiki Village — a public-private housing project that is fulfilling his dream “to build a community,” not just....
Elena Wang and Sam Tanabe, members of the Broadway cast of “Allegiance,” sing a song from the musical for the JCCH audience. Wang will play “Kei” in next year’s Los Angeles production of the musical. (Photos by Gregg Kakesako)

Community – “Allegiance” Cast Honors Nisei Veterans and Support Groups

“Allegiance” Lead George Takei Discusses the Musical’s Broader Message Gregg K. Kakesako Special to The Hawai‘i Herald Actor and civil rights activist George Takei said the story of the 120,000 Japanese Americans who were imprisoned behind barbed wire fences and guard towers in the months following Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor because they looked like....
Nisei Veterans Legacy member and story co-author Byrnes Yamashita (far left) at the exhibit’s opening in Hiroshima. Also pictured from Hawai‘i: Bishop Ryokan Ara of Tendai Mission, George and Hiroko Arine and NVL president Wes Deguchi. (Photos courtesy NVL)

Community – “The Hawaii Nikkei Legacy”

Photo Exhibit on Hawai‘i AJAs Connects in Japan Byrnes Yamashita and Jon Ishihara Special to The Hawai‘i Herald The photographic exhibit, “The Hawaii Nikkei Legacy,” highlighting the story of Japanese immigration to Hawai‘i and the experiences of Hawai‘i’s Japanese Americans from past to present recently wrapped up a successful tour of four cities in Japan,....
Photo of Retired Army Gen. and former Army chief of staff Eric Shinseki

Community – AJA Soldiers’ Artifacts Sought for National Museum of the U.S. Army

The U.S. Army plans to open the National Museum of the United States Army — NMUSA — near Washington, D.C., in 2019 that will include recognition of World War II AJA soldiers of the Military Intelligence Service, 100th Infantry Battalion and 442nd Regimental Combat Team. Work on the three-story, 185,000-square-foot facility is underway on 83....
Cyndi Osajima (right) will succeed Rose Nakamura as executive director of Project Dana on Oct. 1. (Photo by Kevin Kawamoto)

Community Service – A Passing of the Torch at Project Dana

Cyndi Osajima to Succeed Retiring Executive Director Rose Nakamura Kevin Kawamoto Special to The Hawai‘i Herald When Project Dana co-founder Shimeji Kanazawa was looking for a “trusted leader” to help fulfill her dream of establishing a caregiving program within Hawai‘i’s Buddhist community, she didn’t have to look much farther than across the kitchen of the....
Photo of outgoing president Tom Yamamoto (right) presents the president’s gavel to his successor, Vince Watabu.

Community – HUOA Installs 2017 Officers

Earlier this year, the Hawai‘i United Okinawa Association installed its 2017 officers and advisors and honored its Uchinanchu of the Year (see Hawai‘i Herald, April 7, 2017). Tom Yamamoto, 2016 president, passed the gavel to his successor, Vince Watabu, at a gathering attended by more than 800 on Jan. 21 at the Hawaii Okinawa Center.....
Photo of the Cherry Blossom Festival Queen Contestants

Cherry Blossom Festival Queen Contestants (p. 1 of 4)

Jennifer Keiko Ezaki Parents: Bruce and Laura Ezaki High School: Our Redeemer Lutheran, 2009 College/Degree/Year: Biola University, bachelor’s degree in communication, 2013; University of Hawai‘i at Mänoa, post baccalaureate certification in special education, 2016. “What does kokoro mean to you?” “Kokoro is a reminder for me to remain present and connected in a constantly changing....

Cherry Blossom Festival Queen Contestants (p. 2 of 4)

Lori Satoki Kim Parents: Eric and Karen Kim High School: Pacific Buddhist Academy, 2007 College/Degree/Year: University of Hawai‘i at Mänoa, bachelor’s degree in business administration – accounting, 2012. “What does kokoro mean to you?” “Growing up, Kokoro always meant heart. It meant using my heart to always try and show compassion to others, a thought....

Cherry Blossom Festival Queen Contestants (p. 3 of 4)

Kaelyn Sachiko Okuhata Parents: Kevin and Lori Okuhata High School: King Kekaulike High School (Hawai‘i Island), 2012 College/Degree/Year: Chapman University, bachelor’s degree in business administration with an emphasis in marketing and a minor in art studio, 2016 “What does kokoro mean to you?” “Last winter in the Colorado Rockies, I saw snowfall for the first....

Recent Posts

Purchase Culture4Kids!

- Advertisement -