Nanako Numazaki (far right) hamming it up with friends.

Community – Nanako’s Gift of Kansha

Fukushima Earthquake Survivor Says, “Thank You Hawai‘i” Jodie Chiemi Ching “On March 14, (2011) Lt. Gov. Brian Schatz convened a meeting of local Japanese American groups, businesses, media outlets and financial institutions to launch an ‘Aloha for Japan’ fund drive to provide disaster assistance to those affected by the earthquake and tsunami.” It was one....
Diehard bon dance enthusiasts got an early start on the evening, dancing to recorded music before the sun had set and the live musicians had arrived.

In Our Community – Haleiwa Jodo Mission Obon Festival

To see all the photos from this year's Haleiwa Jodo Mission Obon Festival subscribe to our online or print edition today!
The East Hawaii Hiroshima Kenjin Kai presented scholarships of $1,000 each to Waiäkea High School senior Meghan M.B.Y. Nagai (right) and Hilo High School senior Kara Yoshiyama (left)

Herald Salutes

The East Hawaii Hiroshima Kenjin Kai presented scholarships of $1,000 each to Waiäkea High School senior Meghan M.B.Y. Nagai and Hilo High School senior Kara Yoshiyama. The two were recognized for their excellence in academic, co-curricular and extracurricular achievements. Nagai, who is the daughter of Kenjin Kai members Sylvia and Michael Nagai, was a valedictorian....
Eric Tanouye and longtime Green Point Nurseries employee Estelle Navalta discuss their work plan for the day. During the 2009 economic recession, Tanouye and his fellow Big Island flower growers came up with a plan to lift the spirits of their entire island community. (Photo courtesy Eric Tanouye)

Home Sweet Home – Community Spirits Tanouye, Goto, and Galimba

Meet Three Big Island Community Spirits Who Keep Their Communities Resilient and Relevant Dan Nakasone Commentary Special to The Hawai‘i Herald Each of the islands of Hawai‘i has its own unique qualities that draw you to them. I love all of the islands, but the Big Island is — and will always be — my....
Members of the Kuakini Auxiliary and Kuakini’s healthcare team in front of the Kuakini columbarium following the May 28 memorial service. At the far right is the Rev. Takamasa Yamamura. Kuakini Health System president and CEO Gary Kajiwara stands in the front row, third from the left. (Photo courtesy of Kuakini Health Systems)

Community Focus – Kuakini Honors Issei in Annual Memorial Service

Members of the Kuakini Auxiliary and Kuakini Health System’s administration team honored former Issei residents of Kuakini Home at a memorial ceremony on May 28. The service was held at the Kuakini Columbarium at the Honolulu Memorial Park in Nu‘uanu in conjunction with the obon season. Most of the 141 Issei interred in the columbarium....
Hawaii Eisa Shinyu Kai taiko drummers in full swing.

Community – Bon Dance Season Kicks Off in Waipahu

To see all photos from this year's event, subscribe today!
Gov. George Ariyoshi was inducted into the Hawai‘i State Aloha Order of Merit on April 29, in the Senate chambers of the State Capitol. (Photos by Jodie Ching)

Spotlight – Ariyoshi Inducted into the Aloha Order of Merit

Jodie Chiemi Ching Former Gov. George Ariyoshi was inducted into the Hawai‘i State Aloha Order of Merit –– one of the state’s highest honors –– on April 29, in the Senate chambers of the State Capitol. In a press release from the Office of the Governor, it states, “The Aloha Order of Merit was established....
The Hawaii Herald Logo

JCCH “Sharing the Spirit of Aloha” Gala to Honor Six

The Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai‘i will honor five individuals and one organization at its annual “Sharing the Spirit of Aloha” gala on Saturday, June 22, at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, Coral Ballroom. Being honored this year are Coach Gerald Oda and the 2018 Honolulu Little League World Series Team; Lenn Sakata, the first player....
A young boy and girl holding their daikons at the Daikon Festival at Honbushin

Daikon Festival at Honbushin

To see all the photos from the festival, subscribe to the Herald! Subscriptions are available in print and online.
Stacie Kunihisa

Herald Salutes – Kanoelani Elementary School Principal, Stacie Kunihisa

Kanoelani Elementary School principal Stacie Kunihisa was named the 2019 Hawai‘i National Distinguished Principal by the Hawai‘i Elementary School and Middle School Administrators Association at the Hale Koa Hotel on April 28. She will join the National Association of Elementary School Principals and awardees from the other 49 states in Washington, D.C., in October. Just....

Recent Posts

Purchase Culture4Kids!

- Advertisement -