The Hawaii Herald Logo

Community Focus – An Oral History Project: Hawaii Life in the Time of COVID-19

Has the coronavirus pandemic devastated or overturned your life? Are you stuck at home with but naught to do, hoping to leverage the shutdown by starting to learn more about your parents, grandparents and other küpuna (elderly community members)? Have you uncovered the artist within, composing original poems/songs/lyrics (such as haiku or mele), or creating....
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Sidebar – Memorial Day: Shinnyo Lantern Floating Livestream

The annual Shinnyo Lantern Floating Hawaii event attracts over 40,000 people to Ala Moana Beach Park from around the world every year. However, this year, due to concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic, the festival...
Bon dance festival 2019 at Hawaii's Plantation Village. (Photo by Wayne Shinbara)

Community – Ever-Evolving 2020 Statewide Obon Schedule

Around mid-April, The Hawai‘i Herald starts calling Japanese Buddhist temples and community organizations across the state. And this issue would normally include a four-page pull-out section filled with information including Hatsubon and obon services, Töro nagashi (lantern floating) and bon dance festivals. Regretfully, this is the first summer in decades that the schedule seems up....
The Nonaka family in 1987. Front row, from left: Takao, Chiyoko, Takano, Fujiko, Hideo. Back row: Masatoshi, Yukie, Iwao, Norman, Tamiko, Frank, Pearl, Helen, Charles, Clara. (Photo courtesy of Nancy Kurokawa)

Lead Story – Lawai International Center’s History of Healing

Grandma Nonaka’s Legacy Still Lives Carolyn Morinishi Special to The Hawai‘i Herald “Kyö wa Odaisan yo. Pau kaukau, we go.” Takano Nonaka of Hanapëpë, Kaua’i, or Baban as her grandchildren affectionately called her, was as committed to spirituality as she was to her family. Every month during the 1960s, she would call to her grandchildren....
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Dialogue – Mahalo Kauai!

Jodie Chiemi Ching Commentary It’s only been a few months since The Hawai‘i Herald’s 6th annual Kaua‘i special edition — our last issue of 2019. So, why do another so soon? Well, why not? — Our schedule is always fluid depending on what is going on throughout the year. And, right now, we could really....
JANM staff, sheltering in place in their own homes, perform “All By Myself” in a finale for the gala. (Photos courtesy of JANM).

Community – JANHM Holds an Unprecendented Virtual Gala

Gwen Muranaka Courtesy: Rafu Shimpo The Japanese American National Museum took a “leap” into the virtual world on April 18, live-streaming its annual gala to homes in lieu of the black-tie event that was to be held that night. In a mix of pretaped and live segments, the show went on, with speeches, music and....
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Community Focus – Kizunaloha Coalition for Recovery Efforts

The KizunAloha coalition, composed of more than 20 companies, government agencies and nonprofits based in Hawai‘i and Japan, recently unveiled a communications campaign designed to support future and economic recovery efforts by engaging the Japanese market during the coronavirus pandemic. While the state has currently imposed a 14-day quarantine for all incoming travelers and has....
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Community Focus – GFBNEC, Essay and Poetry Contest

To mark the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II, the Go For Broke National Education Center presents its 2020 High School and College Essay and Poetry Contest. In addition to cash prizes, four winners (grand prize entry from each category: essay and poetry high school division and essay and poetry college division)....
The Hawaii Herald Logo

Community Focus – Hui O Laulima Accepting Applicants for 2021 Cultural Grants

Hui O Laulima’s Cultural Grants Committee is currently accepting applications for its 2021 Cultural Grant program. The grants are aimed at supporting the applicants’ efforts to preserve and perpetuate Okinawan culture, one of the missions of Hui O Laulima. The grants are awarded to individuals and groups in the spirit of laulima — the Hawaiian....

Recent Posts

Purchase Culture4Kids!

- Advertisement -