The Hawaii Herald Logo

In Our Community

SOGETSU IKEBANA: TRANSFORMATION 2021 Photos by Jodie Chiemi Ching Note: A special exhibit by Sogetsu Ikebana Hawaii was on display from May 25-31 at Nordsrom, Ala Moana. Sogetsu Ikebana is a sculptural and artistic approach to...

Cover Story – A TALE OF TWO BEST FRIENDS

Memorial Day: Remembering Our Fallen Heroes Byrnes Yamashita Special to The Hawai‘i Herald What is Memorial Day and why do we commemorate it? Many people think of it as a long weekend that marks the start of...

OBON EVENTS 411 – HOW TO OBON IN A PANDEMIC

We came, we saw, we (mostly) avoided the coronavirus. Or at least that’s what Hawai‘i’s innovative Buddhist temples, and other island organizations, did for obon season last summer. A little over a year after...

In Our Community: KAIMUKÏ: OKUMURA BUILDING

Note: Two other businesses located in the Okumura Building that are not pictured here are:  Mottainai Hawaii (@mottainai_hawaii on Instagram), owned by Ann Harris Kedl who makes woven clothing, accessories and gifts; and Southpaw...

Cover Story – NISSHODO CELEBRATES ITS 1OOTH ANNIVERSARY

Colin Sewake Special to The Hawai‘i Herald Tucked away on the corner of Dillingham Boulevard and Kokea Street, Nisshodo Candy Store is a hidden treasure. Despite our familiarity with the area, Editor Jodie Ching and I...

Hanamatsuri – IS SPRING IN YOUR HEART?

Bishop Eric Matsumoto Special to The Hawai‘i Herald The weather is warm, the breeze blows gently, the rain falls lightly and the flowers are blooming beautifully. Spring is such a beautiful time of year. Don’t you...

In Our Community: NUI MONO AND TEMARI HAWAI‘I

Photos by Jodie Chiemi Ching To learn more about Nui Mono and Temari, visit their websites facebook.com/NUIMONO.HAWAII/ and temarihawaii.org.

Queen Interview – 2020-2021: THE YEAR OF COMMUNITY CONTRIBUTIONS

Ida Yoshinaga Cherry Blossom Queen Jewel Mahoe and Her Court Give Back in a Pandemic Year After an unpredictable year, where many Cherry Blossom Festival conventions had to be rethought due to COVID-19, exiting Queen and...

Community – FEB. 19: EVENTS FOR THE “DAY OF REMEMBRANCE”

Ida Yoshinaga Feb. 19 marks a day that lives in notoriety for Japanese Americans, for Asian American and other immigrants of color in the United States, and for anyone concerned with unjust government treatment of...

Recent Posts

Purchase Culture4Kids!

- Advertisement -