Jane Burigsay
Courtesy: Social Security Administration

As tax season approaches, replacing your annual Benefit Statement has never been easier. The Benefit Statement, or forms SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, are tax forms we mail each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. The statement shows the total amount of benefits you received from us in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the Internal Revenue Service on your tax return.

If you live in the U.S. and need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and get an instant, printable replacement form using your personal My Social Security account at ssa.gov/myaccount. A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after Feb. 1.

If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document to your computer or email it to yourself. If you don’t have a My Social Security account, creating one is very easy to do and usually takes less than 10 minutes (see ssa.gov/myaccount/create.html).

With a personal My Social Security account, you can do much of your business with us online. If you receive benefits or have Medicare, your personal My Social Security account is also the best way to:

•Request a replacement Social Security number card (in most states and the District of Columbia).

• Get your benefit verification letter.

• Check your benefit and payment information.

• Change your address and phone number.

• Change your direct deposit information.

• Request a replacement Medicare card.

•Report your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance or Supplemental Security Income benefits.

If you’re a non-citizen who lives outside of the U.S. and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S in the mail. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Visit ssa.gov to find more about our online services.

Jane Burigsay is the Social Security Administration’s public affairs specialist in Hawai‘i.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here