Jane Burigsay
Courtesy of Social Security Administration

During this time when our physical offices are closed to the public, you may wonder, “How can I get help from Social Security without visiting an office?” You can find the answer at ssa.gov/onlineservices, which links you to our most popular online services. You can apply for retirement and disability benefits, appeal a decision and do much more.

Our newest My Social Security feature, Advance Designation, enables you to identify up to three people, in order of priority, whom you would like to serve as your potential representative payee, in the event you ever need help managing your benefits.

We have updated our Frequently Asked Questions at faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-10039 which answers common questions you may have about Advance Designation.
You can also apply for Medicare online in less than 10 minutes with no forms to sign and often no required documentation. We will process your application and contact you if we need more information.

Visit ssa.gov/benefits/medicare to apply for Medicare and find other important information. If you’re eligible for Medicare at age 65, your initial enrollment period begins three months before your 65th birthday and ends three months after that birthday.

We’ve organized our online services webpage into four popular categories for easy navigation:

  • Review Your Information. You can access your secure, personal information and earnings history to make sure everything is correct. You can even print statements with ease.
  • Apply for Benefits. You can apply for retirement, disability and Medicare benefits without having to visit a field office.
  • Manage Your Account. You can change your direct deposit information and your address online.
  • Find Help and Answers. We’ve answered your most frequently asked questions, and provided links to publications and other informational websites.

Let your family and friends know they can do much of their business with us online at ssa.gov.

Jane Burigsay is the Social Security Public Affairs Specialist in Hawai‘i for the Social Security Administration.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here