HISTORICAL FICTION BY Michael G. Malaghan
Downtown Honolulu, April 1941
Robert Shivers and Jack Burns waited in a smoke-filled, windowless room marked “Storage” in the basement of the Dillingham Transportation Building. The pride of downtown Honolulu’s love affair with the Italian Renaissance stood at the foot of Bishop Street, across from the city’s bustling piers. The ground-floor facade showed off bas-relief medallions displaying 19th century sailing ships and steamers, an arched arcade and Art Deco motifs. The Mediterranean design suggested a sense of tropical openness, despite the granite building’s fortress-like assurance. Beneath the courtyard of glazed bricks arranged like a ship captain’s compass, the two men waited in their elegant dungeon for their furtive visitors.