On Memorial Day, we paid tribute to the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. So, it’s a fitting time to share some news about Social Security disability benefits for veterans with disabilities — a new expedited disability process.

We believe it is important to recognize those who currently serve in the military as well as those injured in the line of duty and we consider it an honor and our duty to serve them. Whether the injury is physical or mental, getting a decision about Social Security disability benefits from your government should not add to the problems faced by the injured.

Carolyn W. Colvin, acting commissioner of Social Security, recently unveiled a new initiative to expedite disability applications from veterans with a Department of Veterans Affairs disability compensation rating of 100 percent Permanent and Total. Under the new process, Social Security will treat these veterans’ applications as high priority and issue expedited decisions, similar to the way we currently handle disability claims from wounded warriors.
“Our veterans have sacrificed so much for our country and it is only right that we ensure they have timely access to the disability benefits they may be eligible for and deserve,” Colvin said.

Learn more about the new expedited process for veterans here.  Read about this new service here.

You’ll also want to visit our Wounded Warriors page , where you’ll find informative webinars, a Disability Planner, an overview of our disability programs and the convenient online disability application.

Jane Yamamoto-Burigsay is the public affairs specialist for the Social Security Administration in Hawai‘i.



Question: I lost my Social Security card, but I remember my number. Do I really need a new card?

Answer: No, probably not — but it is important to know your number. The only time you may need the Social Security card is if your employer asks for it when you get a new job. If you decide to get a new card or your lost one turns up, do not carry it with you. Keep it with your other important documents. Generally, you are limited to three replacement cards a year and 10 cards during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. Keep in mind that this is a free service. Learn more.

Question: I noticed that my date of birth is wrong in Social Security’s records. How do I get it corrected?

Answer: To change the date of birth shown on our records, take the following steps:

  • Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5);
  • Show us documents proving U.S. citizenship (if you have not previously established your citizenship with us); age and identity; and
  • Take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Details on the documents you’ll need.


Question: What type of information will I need to provide if I would like to apply online for Social Security retirement benefits?

Answer: Whether you apply for retirement benefits online, by phone or in an office, we suggest that you have the following information at hand when you do it, as it will make completing the application easier for you.

  • Your birthdate, place of birth and Social Security number;
  • Your bank account number and your bank’s routing number, for direct deposit;
  • The amount of money you earned last year and this year. If you are applying for benefits in the months of September through December, you may also need to provide an estimate of what you expect to earn next year if you plan to continue working;
  • The name and address of your employer(s) for this year and last year;
  • The beginning and ending dates of any active military service you had prior to 1968; and
  • The name, Social Security number, and date of birth of your current and any former spouses.

Depending on your situation, you may need to provide additional documentation with your application. We will give you instructions on how to mail or bring it to us. To get started, visit our Retirement Planner.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here