Hawaii residents who wish to donate to the Japan relief effort have several local options.
- First Hawaiian Bank has donated $100,000 and has established a Japan-Hawaii Relief Fund. Donations will be accepted at all of the bank’s branches until March. 31. All contributions will go to the Japanese Red Cross Society.
- Central Pacific Bank will accept donations at all of its branches until April 15. Make checks payable to the American Red Cross and include “Japan Earthquake” on the memo section.
- Hawaii National Bank will accept donations, which will go to the American Red Cross, at all of its locations.
- All L&L Hawaiian Barbecue locations will collect donations for the American Red Cross. Make checks payable to the American Red Cross. No cash.
- Information on charities providing relief can be found at www.charitynavigator.org. Donations can also be made at www.redcross.org.
- To text a donation, text REDCROSS to 90999 and make a $10 contribution.
- Additionally, Verizon is making calls to Japan free for most wireless and residential customers through April 10. Customers with Verizon World Plan can call Japan without using any minutes from their time-allotment blocks.
- Oceanic Time Warner Cable is providing free phone calls to Japan for Digital Phone customers. It will also broadcast around-the-clock coverage of the recovery effort from Japan on NGN2 (TV Japan) Ch. 678.